Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Weddings!

Last Saturday, my good friend C (The Anatolian) invited me to the wedding of his one and only brother. I hadn't been to a Turkish wedding for quite a long time, so I felt a bit special about it. C himself had come over all the way from Istanbul for the event.

I remember how I used to be excited about weddings when I was a child. For us children, it usually meant a great occasion to play our favorite games in a big hall, until very late in the night. We often ended up with so much perspiration that all our clothes were soaked through, which of course caused the anger of our beloved mothers.

As we grew older, weddings assumed a completely different meaning. The games we used to play as children were replaced by the act of flirting. Both the boys and the girls often made extensive use of the dance floor, trying to impress the opposite sex with their dancing skills. Signs and especially notes were the initial means of communication, as many did not dare to simply walk to the one they fancied (among others because of the presence of the parents and other relatives). I remember how I was once given a note that was so badly written, that I could not read a single word!

Looking around at the wedding of C's brother, I realized that nothing had changed really. Children were, as always, running all over the place, playing their games and annoying all other guests. The flirty behavior of boys and girls was to be observed in all its splendor too all right. Several times, I was poked by M, who continuously pointed to a girl on the dance floor, whispering how much he liked her dress.

Well M, the next time you should write it on a note and pass it on!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

And i'm sure you didn't keep you eyes in your pocket either! Maybe you should use your writing skills for something else! :P

Anonymous said...

Caths is right!

Ponentin said...

I should use my writing skills for something else? Like writing notes and passing them to girls on weddings? Yeees, beautiful idea! :p

theanatolian said...

Weddings are relation markets as well.. like clubs, bars, universities :p etc.

Anonymous said...

@ Ponentin: Instead you can put up a note on your forehead that says "forever single, coz i don't pass notes".